Feel for my clients because they know very well the term 16 weeks.
This is usually the minimal time for my firm to lead the internal resources into a great implementation design. I suddenly come into a client site making all kinds of demands.
But alas, it is from lessons learned.
Current and future clients ask me why “16 weeks” all the time? Oracle Education provides a one week class on PIM Data Hub. Why are you so much longer?
Because I am teaching the designers of PIM for the future benefit of Oracle PIM on the organization. That’s the high level answer. Other becauses:
Because I am trying to eliminate your need for development before you understand the abilities of PIM off the shelf functionality.
Because I am trying to guide your own internal resources into a smart design led by themselves that they truly believe in and can adjust according to their own knowledge.
Because I am driving to a list of deliverables that will actually be used in the future.
Because I am trying to give them a headstart or a catch up on knowledge of what part of the software is already built for them that most modern implementation methodologies don’t include. (sometimes because you clients won’t value the activity…you know who you are)
Because I want to leave your project before I retire and break your budget. No offense intended. I really love my job and I enjoy your company. But I want to leave without you feeling exploited.
Because people need time to process the abundance of good functionality in the product and how to take advantage of it in the organization.
Because your people need this time to learn as well as gather the requirements. They need the time to produce deliverables as they are learning how to configure the system and what options and functionality are available in Oracle PIM Data Hub.
There are lots more becauses remaining. Some you can derive. Some you have to pay my firm or someone else to find out.
2 FTE for the first 16 weeks absolute minimum (if one must leave company then it is critical and a threat to not have another). But you need two to get all the answers and requirements together regardless. That is the smallest PIM Administrator staffing plan that I have. Any less and you are at risk the entire timeline of your Oracle PIM Data Hub project plan. Don’t brag about doing it with less. You put your organization at risk. Don’t brag about cheap PIM resources. I know a project near WestChester Ohio that thought my six months and rate was too long and too expensive. It turns out that they took two years and several foreign consultants and need to start all over. I can’t wait to rub that one in. Ironically, they are in an industry that thrives on national level business. Please drop your prices so we can afford to build with your products (you know who you are….)
Prior to 16 weeks:
Consultant should be engaged who has excellent and clear communication skills and can handle a very tightly scheduled and complex implementation in Oracle PIM data hub. You are not better off with a technical resource! Call me when you need the mess cleaned up.
Consultant should have opportunity to ensure a fresh install is available and setup to handle work sessions.
2 FTEs should be made completely free from other initiatives to allow a total focus on design and implementation of PIM data hub. If they have to participate less than 100% on project then this will hurt or delay design.
16 weeks is a Senior Oracle PIM data hub expert walking into a client without knowing anything
16 weeks is the client providing 2 internal senior resources that know who to go to for answers on product data and sources within client site. Please hire temporary replacements for their normal duties not the project duties.
16 weeks should allow time for 2 FTEs to gather requirements, produce deliverables, and learn how to configure two of the working areas of PIM (Groups/Roles and Setup workbench)
A: Knowledge of PIM internally. (knowledge transfer is part of the sessions but sessions are not training of PIM)
B: configured instance produced from 16 weeks (potentially two if fully engaged and instance work fulfilled) It is better if you provide the consultant a week or two in advance of the 16 weeks to ensure the fresh install has “pre-PIM” configuration done. This will save time for all involved and possibly not extend the 16 weeks.
C: Scripts for intra PIM usage (evolve into UAT scripts for Use Cases)
D: Identification of specific interface requirements for the scope of the PIM project
E: Data mapping of interfaced product data. If you provide legacy product data from your legacy systems in advance this will help. Expect ad hoc extraction requests from team with expected quick response.
F: Identify and start the functional specifications for intra and inter PIM extensions/interfaces. Though you should’ve decided which systems go away and which systems will be interfaced prior to phase one.
G: Start an instance plan for functional instance requirements. Instance scenarios are tailor made to clients infrastructure limitations. Buy the software and hardware long before phase one starts. Don’t expect to install hardware and software while the 16 weeks have started. Plan on at least twice the typical benchmarking being showed by sales currently. You will need at times several instances up and running simultaneously. The least that I have experienced is five simultaneously. It is the slightly worse during implementation. But it is only slightly worse.
H: Scope finalized early in the start (not a burden on the work sessions) See F above.
16 weeks includes:
1) 80 four hour sessions scheduled at maximum of one four hour session per day. The remaining average 4 hours are used for the FTEs to gather requirements, work on deliverables, attend other meetings, work with business and technical people to get decisions and designs in order.
2) Dedicated FTEs no pulling out and putting in different FTEs. Weeks must not be lost due to loss of resources. The FTEs will be used and in a management position for the rest of the project. They will be directing the PIM project to completion with guidance from consulting. Hopefully consulting leadership will be reduced at the end of the 16 weeks by 30 percent and continue declining to zero during cutover.
3) Work sessions that are cancelled must be rescheduled
4) Work sessions are sequential. Previous sessions build knowledge internally and externally. They cannot be divided among resources. It is possible to work separately towards the end of the 4 months but it is better if the time is still allotted.
5) The availability of conference rooms with projectors and white boards guaranteed during the time period planned and scheduled well in advance. Please reserve and block them out in advance for the team.
6) Information delivered to client via knowledge transfer should be retained by FTEs. This information is essential to building a very complex configuration. It is better to repeat the subject until understood versus repeating subject after other topics are discussed. This does not include reviews to refresh. Major knowledge transfer topics occur at the beginning of the 16 weeks so the beginning is critical to team cohesiveness in design.
- Oracle PIM Data Hub Knowledge Transfer (who’s appropriate?) (mckinleyalexandra.wordpress.com)